Re: Best Way to Post Prints?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/30/05-06:34:40 PM Z

From: Kate M <kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Subject: RE: Best Way to Post Prints?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:21:00 +1200

> I use the scanner for most of my images, stitching them together if
> need be.

This is what I do as most of my images are 11x14 or larger. I find
this far easier than taking digital pictures of prints, especially
when prints are not perfectly flattened.

More of what's annoying is that, the color of the toned image often
come out wrong, especially when paper base color is adjusted to come
out white. (This is most pronounced with paper bases with fluorescent
dyes, or any type of white pigment. It's less problematic with natural
white colored paper.) I came to think that scanner setup is best
adjusted for the image tone and correct for the base color later,
because base color is always at the end of the density distribution
(while the image is all over the place).

FYI: There is a program called ufraw which can batch convert raw into
common formats like TIFF. When resizing images to fit particular size,
convert program in ImageMagick can take maximum size and resize the
original image to fit within that size while maintaining aspect
ratio. Used on MacOS, Linux or other Unix, batch processing like this
is so easy.