RE: Question for chemists

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 06/24/05-08:49:34 AM Z

Loris, When mixing your palladium solutions it is always or nearly always
recommended that you first start by placing your salt Xcl ( where x is Na,
NH4, K, Li) into your volume of water. As Ryuji states, this allows the
PdCl2 to form it's partnership with the salt and become available to you for
platinum/palladium printing Ware/Zia/Traditional. If you are going to assure
that all your palladium chloride gets into solution properly, error on the
side of slightly too much LiCl, or NaCl, or ... And as Ryuji informed you,
the LiCl is hydroscopic and unless well kept, can lead to errors.

What does adding too much XCl do? In my experience it slows the speed of the
coating solution and adds a bit more effect of the particular salt being
used. For instance, Sodium based palladium prints are warmer than Ammonium
based print, so too much NaCl while mixing will lead to a slower print and
one that is slightly warmer than a mixture or proper molar concentrations.
Can you always see it? NO! Way back in my early printing days, I was using a
formula given too me for mixing palladium solution. Like many, I simply
followed the instructions as written. It wasn't until years later that I
saw conflicting formula and started pushing my pencil to get to the bottom
of it. Well, the earlier formula had been incorrect in that it had nearly
twice the amount of NaCl. This clearly explained to me why I was getting
clogs in my burets; the NaCl was coming out of solution and solid crystals
were plugging up the tip. Now when a suggestion is made to use a little
extra XCl, in no way am I suggesting that you double the amount but an extra
.3 to .5 grams may not be too much if 5 g is required to fulfill the
equation. The palladium solutions have if I recall correctly a very high
saturation and don't require warming to keep them in solution, although
there are those that suggest it, I don't believe that it is required.

I have always used a different mix than B&S has listed when mixing Li based
palladium salt. Using Wares published information, and playing with molar
concentrations, I use a .7 M concentration of my FO, AFO mixes. This is
also why when possible I use Ammonium based Platinum salt in place of the
Potassium based salt. It can reach a molar concentration of .7 where the
Potassium based only reaches a concentration of .457M and requires warming
to maintain that in solution.

I mix my Li Solution with these weights:

1.3g LiCl + 2.5 g PdCl2 with water to make 20 ml

Hope this helps

EJ Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street