RE: Archival CDs

From: joachim oppenheimer ^lt;joachim2@optonline.net>
Date: 06/26/05-08:47:57 AM Z

I am no expert and I can only parrot what I have been taught, but one way to
help prolong longevity of CDs is not to write on them with petroleum-based
inks (read Magic markers). I have been advised to use Staedtler Lumocolor
permanent pens. Except for the word permanent appearing on the packaging, I
see no claims by the manufacturer in regard to CDS. Since so much of our
hard labor hinges on preservation, I wonder if anyone has definitive data on
this subject? I also wonder why vertical storage, if the CDS are in secure
plastic cases, should make any difference. Joachim