Re: Adhesion: Silane and gum

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/06/05-03:38:49 AM Z

MARTINM wrote:

> > No, I didn't use acetone on both sides of the glass, but I'm not sure I
> > understand the question.
>
> Sorry, I meant, did you treat all glasses with acetone (you said: "The wet
> gum coating didn't stick as well to the silane-treated glass as it does to
> plain glass ..."), the "plain glass" was also treated with acetone?

Ah, you meant did I control for any possible acetone effect. (Thanks for
clarification). No, when I said the silane-treated glass didn't keep
the gum any better than plain glass, I was speaking of all my prior
attempts to print on glass that's untreated except for cleaning and
de-greasing, and on which I have been rather consistently unable to
retain the crosslinked gum. But I'm still thinking that even if the
acetone left impurities on the glass, wouldn't that be more of an issue
for whether the silane bonded to the glass than for whether the gum
bonded to the silane? Seems so to me.

> > Would IPA be a better
> > solvent? Weren't you the one who recommended acetone?
>
> I've heard of acetone or methanol in that context but assume IPA would also
> work.

Some of the suppliers who sell this silane bottle it as a solution in
IPA, which is why I was wondering.
kt