listminders

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 03/14/05-09:57:25 AM Z

Hi All:

I do think we need to revisit the issue of listminders. I think it is
something the list needs.

In the past I had tried letting the list sort out all the issues, flames
etc., but found at times the list did nothing but debate these issue, and
did little actual discussion of alt-photo.

In the distant past I read every single posting made to this list, and
respond privately when someone was inappropriate. When I decided to
establish the list minders, it was done out of recognition that I was no
longer able to read every message, and that I felt I should not be the
sole judge and jury.

The listminders job was to watch the list at a particular time and
privately respond to inappropriate postings. In the event of a big issue
we would discuss it amongst the minders and come up with a response. This
was usually about banishing someone from the list.

I have not been able to follow the list closely in the last few months.
Too many other issues going on in my life right now. I will readily admit
that I have seriously neglected by "list minder duties"

The list minders are:

myself Gord Holtslander
Sandy King
Adam Kimball
Art Chakalis
Bob Schramm
Dave Soemarko

When I established this a few years ago I asked people to nominate list
members as potential list minders. I wanted to pick people who were
widely respected on this list.

I would like to find a replacement for myself as a list minder. (I will
still manage the list) I don't think Adam Kimball is participating in
this list any longer (Hello Adam?) the same for Art Chakalis (Hello Art?)

I think the biggest problem currently with the list minders is that only
three of them are actively "minding"

I think it would be valid to have a woman as one of the list minders. I
had asked some to be a list minder initially but they declined.

Are all the other list minders still here willing to continue? Do we want
to go with a bigger group, or smaller group?

Gord
List Manager

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2