RE: cyanotype help needed

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 03/24/05-11:32:53 PM Z

Hi:

I did some experimenting toning cyanotypes a few years ago. One method is
to bleach with a mild alkali and then acidify to get the image back. The
color of the resulting image varies somewhat with the kind of acid used.
Tannic acid give it a blackish brown tone

I played around with different acids, citric, acetic etc, and noticed some
subtle differences in the color of the blue depending on what acid was
used.

It may also depend on what alkali is used. I just used one alkali - can't
remember which one.

Sooo. you may want to experiment with some less valuable paper and see if
you can come up with something you like.

Gord

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Joe Smigiel wrote:

> Loris,
>
> In my experience the alkali solution and wash bleaches the image beyond
> that which the acid will recover. This varies between images/papers but
> I've always been able to lighten the image doing this, sometimes too
> much.
>
> joe

> Joe, doesn't it gain its old density (or very close to it)? When you
> acidify I mean?

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2