Re: cyano recipe

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 05/04/05-08:04:44 AM Z

Good morning all,

It is so nice to see some list action!!! I thought everyone had died or
something. I almost did finishing up my last semester here at Clemson.
Only one critique left tonight and I'll be done. However, I am sad it's
over....:(

BTW, speaking of Clemson and keeping it on the topic of cyanotype, if anyone
has the book Peek, Sam Wang's beautiful 2 page spread cyanotype is in that
book's center. It is awesome. (I'm not grade grubbing; he's already passed
me. Now I can speak about him as my COLLEAGUE heheheh.)

One more note on cyanotype:

Someone questioned inaccuracy of teaspoon measures. My conversions are
accurate, especially in the larger amounts. If a gram scale can be off plus
or minus 0.1 g then that can be a big deal in 1/4 tsp measures, but not in
1/4 cup measures. I just don't think cyanotype, from all of the various
formulae out there, needs to be so exact. However, Kris, I do use 237 ml
for a cup.

The most important thing is this, the gram measures for these two chems, and
then do the math:
pot ferri is 1.5, 2.8, 5.5, 8.0, 15.5 for 1/4, 1/2, 1 tsp, 1/2 tablespooon,
and 1 tablespoon.
FAC is 1.0, 2.0, 4.1, 6.2, and 12.5 respectively.

The other thing: a book here and there will say that once the solution is
mixed it only lasts a couple hours or blah blah blah, but I have heard
otherwise. I'm not sure the extent of this, but I have heard up to 2 wk
with part A and part B mixed. So in other words, throwing together a bunch
of chems in the morning before Kris' demo will be just fine.

Personally, I own my own gram scale, but with cyano I just mix by teaspoon
and never weigh it out. I find the paper the much bigger variable than any
variation in measure. And how soon after coating you expose. The fact that
the blueprintables people are dumping a half a cup and a cup of the chems in
a bucket of water makes me not be anal about my method. And their fabric
they sell is gorgeous.

Kris, mea culpa for thinking you had your math way wrong. However, I never
mix it up like that, always keeping A in regular strength and B in regular
strength and then having the option of mixing the parts together in any way
I want. Don't ask me why I do it that way--I never mix the parts any
differently than 2:1. A creature of habit.
Chris