RE: Dry-mounting gum prints

From: Kate M ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 05/05/05-03:31:37 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> I had framed the print between two pieces of museum board hinged
> together, the front board of course with a window cut out of it and
> the back board solid. A piece of archival foam core was placed in the
> frame, loose, behind the two pieces of museum board to back the piece.

> The print was attached to the solid piece of museum board with linen
> tape. I handed them the sandwich of museum board with the print
> inside, and what I expected was that the print would be drymounted to
> the solid piece of museum board to which it was already attached. But
> instead, when the print came back the solid piece of museum board had
> been discarded and the print had been mounted on a piece of foam core
> that the frame shop had supplied. As I said, I was surprised by this.

II can't say that I am surprised - if you think of the dumbest thing a
shop could do and then multiply it by a further factor of dumbness, this
is what they will do to your prints......
I routinely have used foamcore (archival type) for silver gelatine but
have always used museum board for gums (most of my prints if not all
would have a fairly even gum coating). I wonder if the framed print was
taking up moisture from the air and the light areas of the print were
swelling?. That would be a worry to me.
Kate