Re: Dry-mounting gum prints

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 05/05/05-07:09:56 AM Z

Boy, Eric, I, too, have had a snafu with a frame shop as Katharine did. I
picked up a $400 order that had to go out to a show overnight, and the frame
shop had chosen the cream colored mat board I had indicated, but switched it
to a BUMPY cream colored non archival one, that ugly son-of-a-gun stuff that
looks like it came from Walmart. I could not do anything about it because I
was under a time crunch, so I let it go, but never again. Now I
communicate. Plus I switched shops. AND had to remount all the prints when
they were returned from the show. It was an expensive lesson.

I personally do not mount on foam core, but on archival mat board, the same
as is on the front of my print as a window mat. But foam core nowadays is
acid free so they say, and is considerered archival so they say, too.

The problem with foam core is it dings easily, and it looks cheapish (not
from the front, which is hidden). Plus it adds a lot of extra depth when
you have to store the images in archival boxes. I usually mount on the
archival mat board and then use a layer of foam core in the back of the
frame for added thickness, and when I unframe them the foam core is easily
put in another box and/or replaced.
Chris

From: "Eric Neilsen" <e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>