Re: Gum woes

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 05/09/05-08:18:39 PM Z

Hello Scott,

Interesting to hear of your experience being a color blind photographer. Is
it frustrating at times?

You can experiment with various ratios in your gum emulsion mix to obtain
different effects.

Here's a quick and brief summary of how ratios effect the final result.

More pigment: greater color saturation, more tendency to stain.
Less pigment: subtle color, weaker effect, better for multiple printing.
More gum, less sensitizer: prone to flaking, slower printing speed,
contrasty.
Less gum, more sensitizer: faster printing speed, less contrast.

As noted by others, the type of paper used and sizing will make a big
difference. FWIW, I've had good results using Rives BFK paper treated with
a gelatin size hardened in formaldehyde.

For sizing, I soak the paper in gelatin solution for about five minutes and
then draw it at an oblique angle between two very smooth wooden dowels
(finished with polyurethane). This strips the excess gelatin off the paper,
leaving a thin coat behind. After treating the paper twice in this manner,
I soak it in a formaldehyde solution and dry it. I've never brushed on
sizing so I can't say that my method is better.

A saturated potassium dichromate sensitizer solution will print slower but
produce higher contrast than a saturated ammonium dichromate solution. Use
both to fully exploit the process.

The real 'magic' in gum printing comes when you have control over the
process and can manipulate the variables during multiple printings to create
effects that are unattainable with conventional photo processes.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming

Gum & Cyanotype/Gum prints at: