Re: alternative to flourescent tubes.

From: jude.taylor@comcast.net
Date: 05/31/05-04:58:41 PM Z

Greetings,

I am currently building a small light box for 8x10 that will use the 13 watt screw-in BLBs. It is being a slow process for me because I have a "bad" wrist (actually 2 "bum" wrists) - added another accupuncture session to my therapy already :-) - plus I am doing this in an apartment, which is not the best place for using power tools; nonetheless, with the help of my trusty 3/8 " power drill, hammer and hand saw, I expect to complete the box and be testing in another 10 days or so; I will report my results as I get them.

My approach to building things is somewhat the same as I have used for making "found objects" sculptures, except that I did make a series of diagrams before starting on the box! I found a bathroom-wall light fixture at Home Depot that has a very simple design with three ceramic sockets all wired and everything for only $15.90. The base is metal with a white-enamel painted surface. The sockets are exactly 6" from center to center; I am using two fixture strips for a total of 6 BLB bulbs, two rows of three so the overall box is approximately 12 x 18 inner dimensions. I spaced the two fixtures so the bulbs will be exactly 6" center to center is the short dimension of the box also, with 3" from the center of the bulbs to the sides of the box.

I will wire the two strips of sockets together to one cord with a plug. I am planning to put a 4" fan at one end and vents at the opposite end; the front has a door (removable board) to access shelves for the printing frame. The shelves are the last variable I will work on once the box itself is complete; my design plan (and the height of the box) includes room for 2 shelf-heights (one shelf, but supports at two levels - like putting racks in an oven or something like that). For this I could use some advice: I am thinking 3" and 4" might be good distances from the bulbs to the glass of the frame; any suggestions on this? I plan to start with cyanotype because I have done this procedure before (using the sun), but will be experimenting with other processes soon.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have! BTW, the 13 watt screw-in BLBs I found were about $12 each as opposed to approx. $16-$17 for the 20 watters.
Judy
Judy Rowe Taylor
Mukilteo, WA
Art is a voice of the heart, a song of the soul.
www.enduringibis.com
jude.taylor@comcast.net or judyrowetaylor@enduringibis.com