Re: Gum color printing

From: Kerik ^lt;kerik@kerik.com>
Date: 11/01/05-02:11:43 PM Z

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:50:41 -0500, Joe Smigiel <jsmigiel@kvcc.edu> wrote:

>>> Hi,
> Do you coat all three colors (YMC) expose individually and develop or
> coat one at a time expose and develop each one separately ? <<
>

> One at a time and processed separately. Coat, dry, expose, process and
> dry one color layer and then repeat with another.

While most gum printers work this way, you can also
coat-expose-coat-expose-coat-expose, then develop once at the end. I think
this is Phillipe Berger's(?) approach. I've done this several times and it
has worked well for me, although I do multiple gum layers over platinum
rather than a "YMCA" print. Generally, I prefer to work one layer at a
time so I can see how the print is progressing so I can make adjustments
along the way as I see fit.

Speaking of gum over platinum, I will be in New York City this weekend
teaching a workshop in that process for the Center for Alternative and
Historical Processes (www.cfaahp.org). It's been over 10 years since I've
been to NY, so I'm looking forward to returning. If anyone has any
suggestions for photo exhibits or events I should know about, please let
me know.

Kerik
www.kerik.com