red safe light

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/10/05-01:38:21 AM Z

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, jude.taylor@comcast.net wrote:

> A photographic supply house would probably call the red bulb a
> "safelight;" Home Depot calls it a night light :-).

Judy, odds are that "night light" from Home Depot is NOT the same as a
photo red safelight.... I had a couple of students working with red
"safelights" who mysteriously got fogged prints -- until the light so-to-
speak dawned & I asked where they got the bulbs. Turned out it was the
hardware store. When we substituted a red photo bulb, problem solved.

However, those photo bulbs are expensive & now quite rare. If you can get
a piece of rubylith, clip it around a regular bulb... works fine.

(I've also had fogging when my red photo bulb got scratches -- most of
them are made with a red lacquer sprayed on top of a regular plain bulb...
which can scratch, flake or crack. I patched with red nail polish.)

Judy