RE: To Don (and others, was: )RE: Gum questions - 101

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 11/14/05-08:50:41 PM Z

Loris,

I'm not Don but if I were printing 8 photos at once, I would do as
described below:

If your exposure time is around 2 minutes, you coat the sheets every 3
minutes (the extra 1 min. is for letting you place the negative and
coated paper into the contact printing frame - and then remove, and then
place in the developer bath)... So you can expose them consecutively
without changing the dry timing... You got the idea.

Assuming that I understand your workflow description, I'm inferring that the
drying time for each coated sheet would be about 3 minutes. Unfortunately
from my experience coated sheets need about 20 minutes to dry completely.
Also all of the sheets need to be coated one after the other since the
gum-pigment-dichromate mixture has a very limited time to be coated. Each
print is coated quickly; the sensitized gum mixture becomes tacky and
difficult to coat rapidly. I then use a blender brush to smooth the coat
evenly eliminating any streaking.

As soon as the print is exposed it goes into the developer. After a brief
gentle agitation I begin the next exposure as quickly as I can. And so it
goes through out the printing session. Last night in addition to the
automatic development I brush developed a small area of the print to remove
gum/pigment from a small but significant area of the print.

When the next print is exposed the first print gets shifted to the next tray
and so on. If I were making very large prints this workflow would be come
very abbreviated. I have limited sink space to work in and would be
physically forced to work on fewer prints at a time. So for a 13x18 or 16x20
print I would expose and work on one at a time.

Don