RE: BL vs BLB tubes for cyanotype

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 11/17/05-07:57:56 AM Z

Eric,

Well, there was nothing careful about my retrieving of your data. It
came up as the first item on a list when I did a simple google search
"UV transmission of starphire glass."

In any event the current transmission data for Starphire glass, as
seen at the PGG site, is very different from what you posted so I
look forward to what you find out from PP&G so that we can at least
clarify the transmission.

But just for the record, the piece of Starphire glass that I tested
was obtained as a sample from PP&G four or five years ago, perhaps
in early 2000 after the subject of Starphire was discussed on this
list. And it was clearly labeled as Starphire.

Be all that as it may, I still don't believe there is much to be
gained by using a glass with high transmission below about 340 nm, at
least not with BL, BLB and SA tubes. SA tubes put out virtually no
radiation below 350 nm, and even the BLs and BLBs fall off to almost
nothing at around 335 nm.

Sandy