Re: Gum problem(s)

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 11/18/05-10:13:33 AM Z

Yves,

I'm not Judy, but if you allow for an additional opinion ...

In the first place, 11.5ml of mix seems to me way too much for covering
a 5" x 7" sheet. Or you perhaps use this quantity for coating several
sheets?

Second, 1.5ml of pigment is also a suspicious quantity, because you
don't say how much of this is dry pigment and how much is Photo-Flo.
I use dry pigments, and the quantity varies wildly with the covering
power of each pigment. Earths such as burnt sienna, raw umber or such
cover much less than, say, the quinacridones.

In general, as they say, you should still be able to read newspaper font
through the coat, albeit with difficulty. This is perhaps not an absolute
rule but it is good enough for a start. It assures you that the coat allows
the passing of light, at least twice. Should you need more density, you
can always later attempt multiple coats.

As an example (not to be taken as words of wisdom written on stone):
I use some 200mg of Winsor & Newton Indian Red (red iron oxide)
to cover a 24x30cm sheet of paper sized with two coats of gelatine
hardened with formaldehyde. I don't use the same paper as you do
because, as has been previously discussed, it is not available in Europe
but several members of this list swear by that paper so it must be good.

Do you size your paper? I don't really recall if this paper is used with
or without sizing by those that use it.

Photoflo is a good idea when working with dry pigments. I use Agepon,
the Agfa equivalent, but any surfactant agent should help. Only I use
it in minimal quantities: just a very small drop which is enough to
break the superficial tension of the gum+dichromate mix. Perhaps
you are using too much Photoflo?

I have no experience with the kind of light that you use, so I cannot give
an opinion. Do you have sunny days where you live? If so, why don't
try some clear-sky exposure? This is guaranteed to have enough ultraviolet
content for your needs, mostly between 10am and 3pm or so. But avoid
the direct sun!

The uniformity of the coat, within some reasonable range, is not that
important at first. You will have time to perfect your coating technique
later, should it be necessary and should you still be hooked with gum :-)

Good luck
Tom