Re: How to apply curves in PS for digital negatives...

From: Dan Burkholder ^lt;fdanb@aol.com>
Date: 11/26/05-01:17:29 PM Z

Christina asked:

> I mean do I first convert the image to a negative and then apply the
> > curve, or first apply the curve and then convert into a negative?
> The result is different.

Though you could tailor your procedure to work either way, for most of
us it's more intuitive to apply the curve BEFORE inverting the image
into a negative. For one thing, you get to see how the curve actually
bends the tones in your image, something that's harder to see when
applied to a negative.

Sometimes the order in which you do things is more important than at
others. If you are using a colorized negative scheme to create your
diginegs, you could get into trouble were you to invert at the wrong
stage. Inverting a red-orange image would suddenly give you a blue-cyan
  negative; this color would pretty much do nothing for most UV
sensitive processes.

And remember, it's all well and good that a web site offers curves. But
they vary from printer to printer and from photographer to photographer.
Any "stock" curve should be regarded as a starting point from which you
fine-tune its shape to achieve the ideal print tonality.

Hope this helps and Happy Holidays!

Dan

--
www.DanBurkholder.com