Re: How to apply curves in PS for digital negatives...

From: Marek Matusz ^lt;marekmatusz@hotmail.com>
Date: 11/26/05-03:00:11 PM Z

Dan,
I must have not been a very good student in your class. I apply my curves to
the negative. I found it easier to do especially for the tricolor
separations for gum. I can fine tune it easier and look at my RGB channels
at the same time. Anyways, perhaps the best curve to start with is a
straight line as it will tech you the most about your process. I might have
a generic curve for a process, but evry picture will be modified to suit my
particular vision. Perhaps it is like printing B&W. I always started with a
straight print on a multicontrast paper with no2 filter and then decided how
my paaper curve should be modified to a fixed negative curve. With most alt
processes our paper curve is fixed and we vary negative.
Introducing drastic curves might lead to artifacts like bading, etc so the
order might be important. I work only in 16bit files and never found that
the order matters (actually I never see any artifacts).

Just a thought for this after Thanksgiving shopping day