Re: How to apply curves in PS for digital negatives...

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 11/28/05-08:38:39 AM Z

George,

I don't have Dan's book but one thing is for sure, there are so many
variables in play from the original to the final print that I would be very
surprised if you could use someone else curve just like that. I strongly
suspect as others have said that you need to derived your own test not only
for a specific process but each time you use a different material from what
was tested.

There is another way one could find to produce a proper workflow for a
particular process, that is creating a fine tuned color space to produce
your negative. But this can be relatively more complex and it would still be
limited to the materials used in creating it. The possible advantages would
be more precise control, use of color mode to produce negatives, most
probably better control over color separation negatives and other stuff I
can't think of at this time.

But again, all this is very nice and playing with numbers is relatively easy
but even if you are "scientific" about producing your images it wont help
that much in producing "art". For exemple Ansel Adams said that a polariod
52 produce one if not the nicest tonalities he as ever seen and this
material is far from linear. In other words, it may be better to get a less
"objective" transformation and more pleasing results.

Yves