Re: How to apply curves in PS for digital negatives...

From: wcharmon@wt.net
Date: 11/28/05-12:52:55 PM Z

Just remember that 'how the curves look' is completely immaterial. The point
of the curve is to map the values on screen to appropriate densities on the
output negative. Printers and printer drivers can all do different things. For
instance, a particular printer/driver combo might create more contrast than is
desireable in the shadowed areas of the image, thus requiring a curve
to 'reduce' the contrast on screen so that it gets mapped correctly to your
output substrate. Or the reverse could be true. It all depends on how the
particular printer/driver pair do their business.

No one can look at the curve alone and declare authoritatively that it is crap
without knowing the printer, the printer driver, the inkset, the output
substrate and the printing processs being used.

Clay