RE: Best CI for process

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 10/02/05-09:55:54 AM Z

Ryuji, As I read in your response I am drawn to "contrast for
negative materials". Now it is true that we use, or did, a silver based
product to hold our image (the negative) for printing. I was trying to point
out the term "useful" in the web sites explanation of CI. And if it is not
widely used out side of the halls of Kodak, perhaps, there is more useful
straight line area that needs to be considered for platinum, palladium, ...
It might look a little slanted or curved, but to the alternative receiving
media provides useful contrast information.

How about this, CIA ( Contrast Index of Alternative _prints) : )

I did extensive tracking of densities back in the late 80's and early 90's
of both film and prints. After observing the numbers as they related to my
final prints, I stepped away for absolutes and got more into the feel.

Etienne and I seem to have taken similar paths. While I was crunching those
numbers, creating charts, and looking at Kodak's film information in their
publication (I don't recall the publications # but it supplied one with
curves, CI, recommended developers and such). I too found a much more direct
way was to look at my graph of DR of the film and print interpretation,
either after throwing it on the densitometer or simply looking at it.

So back to shadow density in zone III.... Exposure for the shadows, process
for your highlights to match to ( insert scanner/enlarger/printing/ etc) and
have a nice day : )

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9