RE: Best CI for process

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 10/02/05-10:14:13 AM Z

Eric,

Sorry, but a part of my last message was omitted during cut and paste.

What I meant to have said was that although density range and CI (or
Gamma, Average Gradient or whatever you want to call it) are related,
the use of the former to talk about negative contrast can be very
misleading because it often does not provide a good indicator of the
effective printing density of a negative, while CI nearly always does.

For example, consider the following three cases, which correspond to
data from testing I did of TRI-X film, at nine minutes, 13 minutes
and 20 minutes.

Time Dmin Dmax DR CI
9:00 .23 2.80 2.57 1.0
13:00 .30 3.11 2.81 1.0
20:00 .45 3.35 2.90 1.0

As you can see, the DR increases significantly with time of
development, but the CI, which is a much better indicator of
effective printing density, does not. The negative developed for nine
minutes will print with exactly the same contrast as the one
developed for twenty minutes, though the extra B+F of the twenty
minute negative will require more printing time. In other words,
increasing time of development to obtain a higher DR range over that
needed for maximum CI is just a waste of time which also results in
longer printing times.

Of course, if you are working with a film that has very linear
straight line curve there will be a better correlation between DR and
CI.

Sandy