Re: OT, Historical Photo Question

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 10/10/05-02:58:06 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Katharine Thayer" <kthayer@pacifier.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 4:08 AM
Subject: Re: OT, Historical Photo Question

> Hi Dan,
> This is known as "combination printing" and was used to
> great effect by,
> for example, Gustav le Gray in the mid-19th century.
> According to
> Beaumont Newhall's classic history of photography, rather
> than the two
> plates being "melded" as you suggest, "The two negatives
> were masked;
> part of the print was made from one, and part from the
> other." Hope
> that's helpful,
> Katharine

   There were also early practitioners, I can't name names
right now, who stripped the emulsion from glass plates and
assembled it on a final support. Some very complex pictures
were made this way. A similar stripping and assembly method
was used to make printing plates for decades.

   BTW, the Photo History list has been reactivated. I am
copying below the commands for this list. This might be a
good place to post this question.

     PhotoHist-l LISTSERV OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS:

                        To SIGNOFF or UNSUBSCRIBE:

1. In a message addressed to:
LISTSERV@listserver.isc.rit.edu
2. Send the following request: SIGNOFF PhotoHist-L

Nothing else. No name, no e-mail, and no signature files.
Just that one line!

You would also send other "command-type" messages to the
above address:

       SUB PhotoHist-L your-name-here (subscribes you to the
list)
       SET PhotoHist-L MAIL DIGEST (mail in digest mode =
index + text)
       SET PhotoHist-L MAIL POSTPONE (suspends mail
delivery)
       SET PhotoHist-L MAIL ACK (reactivates piecemeal
mail delivery)
       HELP (sends you a HELP
file)

---