Re: fixing salt prints

From: David Barker ^lt;dbarker_ca@yahoo.com>
Date: 10/15/05-07:03:44 PM Z

Hi Judy,

I've mostly used plain hypo (10% no other additives),
but I think I have also used kodak rapid fix and it
worked fine if I recall correctly. If you tone the
prints you may need to use a different fix depending
on the pH of the toner. I usually fix for 5-8 minutes.

Is it possible you are not washing sufficiently before
fixing? You have to get rid of all the unreacted
silver salt by washing in tap water until you don't
see any white precipitate coming off any more (and
then some).

My silver nitrate solution must be going on a year or
more old and it still seems to work fine. I can't
think of anything that would hurt it over time in an
opaque bottle, except that it'll probably get more
concentrated with use.

David Barker

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs