Re: fixing salt prints

From: Eric Nelson ^lt;emanmb@yahoo.com>
Date: 10/16/05-08:50:06 AM Z

I am forgetting if there's a reason not to use Kodak
fixer but you can find if there is a reason, short of
testing it, in Reilly's book online which is
searchable.
<<http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/monographs/reilly/>>
 I've never tried it.

There is info there also in how to maintain your
silver nitrate solution as far as replenishment and
kaolin treatment. It should last for years.

As you sensitize salt and albumen prints, the
organics, gelatin and albumen, will darken the
solution and make it less and less usuable. Kaolin
powder will remove that discolorization and settle to
the bottom. There is an illustration of a siphon
apparatus to remove the decolorized solution without
disturbing the powdered layer at the bottom here as
well as intstructions on kaolin treatment.
<<http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/monographs/reilly/chap6.html>>

Eric Nelson
http://www.archival-photo.net
http://www.eman-photo.com