RE: VDB

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 10/16/05-05:50:52 AM Z

Hi Judy. First of all thanks for the suggestions.

I guess good Dmax is a little bit subjective concept. Coming from silver
gelatine printing (and quadtone b&w inkjet printing), the max. density I get
with alt-process prints looks always weak to my eyes.

I use the formula given in Wynn White's article @ unblinkingeye.com
(http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html). Formula says:

Solution A
Ferric Ammonium Citrate 9.0 gm
Distilled Water 33.0 ml

Solution B
Tartaric Acid 1.5 gm
Distilled Water 33.0 ml

Solution C
Silver Nitrate 3.8 gm
Distilled Water 33.0 ml

My chemicals are all good. My scales are all good (no problems with Ziatype,
Cyanotype). My silver nitrate is white, it shows no precipitation and/or
cloudyness when mixed with the distilled/deionized water I use. I use a dark
amber coloured container with plastic caps (double caps). I use dedicated
brush and plastic pipette for measuring coating solution and for
application. Paper comes from its original packaging, no problems with other
processes. No extra sizing (it's Cot 320; extremely good sizing on the front
side). I know there are people printing platinum on that paper (another
process that doesn't like gelatine sizing) so I guess its sizing is
syntethic (aquapel?). I wash in 1% citric acid (in order to get rid of all
unexposed sensitizer), I use plain 2% sodium thiosulfate fixer (no other
chemicals added). Fixing time is 1 min. I expose right after drying the
paper (5mins flat, then 25mins cold air fan).

I get good Dmax by double coating and toning in gold before fixing. Never
got good Dmax by single coating.

Regards,
Loris.