RE: VDB

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 10/16/05-09:07:36 PM Z

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Loris Medici wrote:

> I guess good Dmax is a little bit subjective concept. Coming from silver
> gelatine printing (and quadtone b&w inkjet printing), the max. density I get
> with alt-process prints looks always weak to my eyes.

Hi Loris,

Your formula is the classic formula AFAIK, so I figure one or all of the
following:

Your standards are higher than mine;

There's TOO MUCH D-max in silver gelatin and quadtone inkjet, so it ruins
you.

Papers today aren't as D-Maxy as the prewar (pre-WWII !) Strathmore I had
a big stash of from NY Central Artists Materials (this I'm pretty sure of,
BTW).

All of the above -- though I'm not familiar with that COT.... Still, a
couple of other thoughts -- maybe that "dedicated brush" is one of the
kind that just lays on enough emulsion for platinum? A foam applicator may
slosh on more fluid, possibly the total amount in one coat you get with
two?

I also wonder (just curious -- your EXTREME precision has that effect!),
if a one-minute fix would give greater D-max. In my fixer tests there was
a noticeable difference in bleaching between one minute fix and 2
minutes... I adjusted around it, and found 2-minute fix, or 1-1/2, was
fine (for my standards, anyway), still, I wonder....

But the whole fixing issue with VDB seems peculiar. A couple of my
students fell in love with the print color UNFIXED, and we found that
leaving the print unfixed, but with a good wash, it seemed not to change
after TWO HOURS re-exposure under BL fluorescents. That doesn't mean it
didn't change in time of course -- but it was at least possible to believe
that the main function of the fixer was to darken the brown !!

cheers,

Judy