Re: Blue-Black Cyanotype & Luster

From: Kai Hamann ^lt;kaihamann@t-online.de>
Date: 10/16/05-10:50:50 AM Z

Hello Judy,

sorry for this late response. Your clues are more than welcome and an invaluable addition to the PF articles -- I´ll print your article (it is more than a contribution) and put it in my #7 issue for having the story as complete as possible.

Concerning Eder you write: >the chemistry book, not the "History" which was names & dates<. I´ve looked up Abebooks and am a bit curious about which chemical Eder you are writing. In German there was published a pocketbook (which is pretty common) with reciepes that has about 500 pages and the "Ausführliches Handbuch der Photographie" (meaning "Comprehensive Handbook on Photography"). The Eder "History" is only ONE of about 14 parts in 4 volumes of that work. Most important for me is the IV/4 that deals with non-silver print out processes with iron, manganesee, copper, vanadium, uranium, platinum, ... salts on about 270 pages.

And well, toning cyanotypes. I think it is the most wonderful thing one can do with a cyanotype. Making a good cyanotype print is more precise handwork than art. Toning is the art to rule over science. As a non native english speaker I can´t express it better right now. When toning you have to make fast decisions, take risks and understand the principles or the image can be ruined within seconds.

Have a nice day
  Kai

PS: Yesterday I made the first prints with a new toning technique that builds up the picture with tiny individually colored pieces. Here is a cutout of one of the prints: http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/cat/2442/display/4155392. Guess how proud I am? =:)