Re: salt printing questions

From: jude.taylor@comcast.net
Date: 10/21/05-12:58:12 PM Z

I finally got my salt prints to clear well enough (on Arches Platine paper) by using much agitation both during the rinses before fixing (5 water baths at 2 min each, with the last being distilled water); this is after the post-exposure salt wash (I also increased to salt concentration by about 3x over the amount recommended in James book); and also much agitation during the post clearing - final rinse (5 min each in 5 separate trays of distilled water). It still looked good after 24 hours.

I've been "reading" a lot of books-on-tape since starting alt-photo printing and developing my own film. Smiles!

I decided to used distilled water after the first retry when I noted a brown-gray scum in the tray of running water where I did my final rinse, even though the pH of my tap water is around neutral, if not slightly acidic; the retry was after changing to plain sodium thiosulfate (with sodium bicarb) fixer and sodium sulfite clearing bath (as opposed to Kodak products), So I don't know for sure yet if it was the extra salt or the agitation or the distilled water, though I suspect the agitation helped greatly. I will sort that out one variable at a time now that I have one successful print!

This reference, sent recently by Eric Nelson, also gives some guidelines as to # prints/liter of fixer and clearing bath.

http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/monographs/reilly/

Cheers!
Judy

--