Re: Magnani Pescia et al.. for gumprinting

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/25/05-04:43:07 AM Z

David,
It's also worth remarking that Rives BFK comes in at least two versions.
There's a regular BFK, and a BFK Heavyweight, which is not only slightly
heavier in weight (280 gm/m^2 vs 250 gm/m^2) but also more heavily
sized. I once had a theory that maybe it was that people who didn't like
BFK as well, like me, were using the regular BFK and people who liked it
better, perhaps, were using the heavyweight BFK, but Chris blew that
theory out of the water by saying it was the regular BFK that worked
well for her.

But, working through the virtual folders of alt-photo posts that I've
saved over the years (which I've never found terribly useful and 99% of
which will be left to "rot" in the dead computer; the only things I'm
printing out to save are posts of my own which will be useful in the
next revision of my website) I notice that I see the first reference to
Chris's move to a more diluted dichromate in November 2003, and perhaps
that change may account for the difference in paper recommendations. It
may very well just be a coincidence and Chris will have a different
explanation I'm sure, but it isn't the first time that I have wondered
whether it's the difference in the dichromate concentrations we use that
leads to such radically different observations about the behavior of
papers, sizings, hardeners, and combinations thereof.
Katharine