Re: Magnani Pescia et al.. for gumprinting

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/26/05-10:07:23 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> davidhatton wrote:
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Very soon I will be making my annual trek to the UK for reprovisioning etc..
> >
> > My brief encounter with Talbot paper from Ruscombe Mill really taught me
> > a lot, so I won't be buying any more this side of Hell freezing over.
> > I've no doubt that those of you with great expertise could make
> > wonderful prints with it but for me it causes too many problems. So, I
> > need a paper which
> >
> > a) does not cockle when wet,
> > b) does not cockle when dry,
> > c) does not expand and contract like a concertina during the Gum Process
> > d) has a fine surface
> > e) has a nice white colour (note the correct spelling Wikipedia)
> > f) does not sink during development..
> >
> > In fact I want the perfect paper for Gumprints which are somewhat
> > detailed. I can't afford to try lots of samples because of my remote
> > location (somewhere in South-West Turkey) and I have to make my
> > purchases in one hit.
> >
> > It has been suggested that Magnani Pescia has all these qualities. Does
> > anyone use this paper. A certain famous Gum printer says Reeves BFK is
> > unsuitable yet others say it is fine.
>
> Hi David,
> I have used Magnani Pescia occasionally over the years and always found
> it a lovely paper to use, but I've mostly used it unsized and not for
> multiple gum printings, so I can't tell you how it holds up under
> multiple soakings.

David,
Going through old posts today, I came across something from myself that
said that on repeated soakings, I had sometimes noticed that the Magnani
Pescia tended to lose surface integrity; the surface would tend to
abrade after being soaked repeatedly. I don't remember once knowing
that, but there it is. Another bit of data for your consideration,
Katharine