Re: Magnani Pescia et al.. for gumprinting

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 10/28/05-02:58:09 PM Z

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> .... I don't remember once knowing
> that, but there it is. Another bit of data for your consideration,
> Katharine

That's another rule of thumb: like paper, memory changes over time.

As for the BFK, I began using it when I began teaching in the early 1980s,
because I had almost no prior experience and someone told me HIS teacher
in Florida used it and it could ALSO could do a one-coat print with no
added size.

My beginning (and advanced, for that matter) students used it through 1999
(when I left), and it was always the same and always excellent. The print
wasn't as smooth as some other papers, but that made it more forgiving for
beginners. (It was not good for cyano or VDB because it speckled, as I've
described.)

Note that "without size" for one coat is WITHOUT pre-shrink, in
other words on the still smooth, nap not-yet-raised-by-water paper.

Why we liked it and others didn't could be due to whatever, whatever, or
whatever. Even whatever. But AFAIK, the paper was essentially the same
for nearly 20 years. Later I didn't use it a lot myself because I liked a
finer grain and it was a bit light for larger prints.

Judy