RE: Let's switch the New Orleans controversy to glut now please...

From: Don ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 09/01/05-09:25:04 PM Z

Chris,

One was sized with gelatin hardened with glyoxal, a batch of paper Don
Bryant had given me. It was Rives BFK. Not yellowed yet, Don.

I thought I might write that the batch of Rives BFK that I gave you samples
of was sized as you mentioned above but also had baking soda added (per C.
James recommendation.) I suppose the addition of the baking soda is to
promote hardening (that cross linking thing I guess) but it also may have
added to the gritty feeling of the paper.

I know Clay has said that he has used glyoxal but did he add baking soda?

Also according to one of Clay's recent posts he has also used chrome alum
with a resulting bluish cast just as you and I have experienced. So I'm
wondering if the amount of chrome alum may be reduced to get the same amount
of hardening?

God willing I will attempt to size some FEW with glut in the following days
since the sweltering heat wave seems to be abating and I've put up a drying
line in my garage.

And yes the magenta layer did speckle all to hell so I'm looking forward to
trying the glut sized FEW.

As for the New Orleans tragedy let's all remember that these people need our
help. How can any of really complain about our lives in comparison to those
poor souls abandoned on the I-10 bridge in downtown New Orleans?

We are most likely watching the death of a city which will be a great lost
but the human suffering there now should be the focus of our energies not
petty politics.

Don Bryant