Let's switch the New Orleans controversy to glut now please...

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 09/01/05-07:44:48 PM Z

You all!!! Gees,
We were told by Gordy to nip it so nip it!

John from Austin, if you quit the list I'll snip something of yours and
THAT'LL be controversial. You are a good member here and your humor is
needed! So there.

NOW, let's get back to some real controversy: glutaraldehyde.

Mark Nelson was in town and I got to teach him a thing or two about gum, as
I said.

I gave him two pieces of paper to coat, a first coat, a deep Magenta (fully
loaded pigment).

One was sized with gelatin hardened with glyoxal, a batch of paper Don
Bryant had given me. It was Rives BFK. Not yellowed yet, Don.

One was Fabriano AEW hot pressed, sized with 6ml glut to 1000ml gelatin
(boiled) 2.8%.

Mark was an eye witness to the difference between the two sizings. Now,
granted, the PAPERS are different, I know, I know...Rives has a bit of
texture, and is softer, and more absorbent. BUT, what Mark was amazed at
and didn't wax poetic enough about on the list is how incredibly smooth glut
is, how it does not stain at all, and in comparison the Rives was completely
speckled with magenta and ugly.

He also found out how much harder it is to coat a hot pressed paper vs. a
textured paper, right Mark? heheheh.

I only share this because I think that most beginner gummists probably fail
because they use the wrong hardener/paper combo. If speckling is your
problem, switch to Fabriano AEW hot pressed (or soft or cold) and glut. I
have sized FAEW with gly and it speckles with stain, too, so my bet is laid
on glyoxal as a major speckle culprit.

If gly doesn't speckle for you, and you're completely perfect in your gum
practice, disregard.

The only reason I posted this is because I have recently had questions about
glut OFFLIST and felt it would be beneficial to share the info with more
than a few.

If someone out there has used glut with problems, please do share so as to
balance my enthusiasm for the stuff. We know of two who have had severe
reactions to glut with headaches and dizziness and such. Anyone else?
Anyone use Maco hardener or the Black Magic hardener for their glut source
yet? Is Black Magic glut, too??

So THERE. Let's get back to arguing about something alt related now.
Chris