Re: Let's switch the New Orleans controversy to glut now please...

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/01/05-11:56:00 PM Z

Chris,

Damn, I thought this thread was going to be a discussion of your gluts...oh
well

What Chris is saying is true.... I actually visited her hehehehe and all she
described happened.

Chris gave a good gum demo and like many things in Alt Photo, I think coating
is one of the most difficult things to master in many processes. I am
already planning my attack for when I get home...and of course I have Chris's & Sam
Wang's phone numbers :)

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson
PS: I am in OZ Land now (Kansas) and will miss all the mountains of Montana,
Wyoming & Colorado a great deal. I was somewhat startled while at
Yellowstone by a comment made by one Grizzly Bear to another when a back packer rode
by on a bike— he said "Wow, Meals on Wheels!"

In a message dated 9/1/05 7:47:45 PM, zphoto@montana.net writes:

> You all!!! Gees,
> We were told by Gordy to nip it so nip it!
>
> John from Austin, if you quit the list I'll snip something of yours and
> THAT'LL be controversial.  You are a good member here and your humor is
> needed! So there.
>
> NOW, let's get back to some real controversy:  glutaraldehyde.
>
> Mark Nelson was in town and I got to teach him a thing or two about gum, as
> I said.
>
> I gave him two pieces of paper to coat, a first coat, a deep Magenta (fully
> loaded pigment).
>
> One was sized with gelatin hardened with glyoxal, a batch of paper Don
> Bryant had given me.  It was Rives BFK. Not yellowed yet, Don.
>
> One was Fabriano AEW hot pressed, sized with 6ml glut to 1000ml gelatin
> (boiled) 2.8%.
>
> Mark was an eye witness to the difference between the two sizings.  Now,
> granted, the PAPERS are different, I know, I know...Rives has a bit of
> texture, and is softer, and more absorbent.  BUT, what Mark was amazed at
> and didn't wax poetic enough about on the list is how incredibly smooth glut
> is, how it does not stain at all, and in comparison the Rives was completely
> speckled with magenta and ugly.
>
> He also found out how much harder it is to coat a hot pressed paper vs. a
> textured paper, right Mark? heheheh.
>
> I only share this because I think that most beginner gummists probably fail
> because they use the wrong hardener/paper combo.  If speckling is your
> problem, switch to Fabriano AEW hot pressed (or soft or cold) and glut.  I
> have sized FAEW with gly and it speckles with stain, too, so my bet is laid
> on glyoxal as a major speckle culprit.
>
> If gly doesn't speckle for you, and you're completely perfect in your gum
> practice, disregard.
>
> The only reason I posted this is because I have recently had questions about
> glut OFFLIST and felt it would be beneficial to share the info with more
> than a few.
>
> If someone out there has used glut with problems, please do share so as to
> balance my enthusiasm for the stuff.  We know of two who have had severe
> reactions to glut with headaches and dizziness and such.  Anyone else?
> Anyone use Maco hardener or the Black Magic hardener for their glut source
> yet?  Is Black Magic glut, too??
>
> So THERE.  Let's get back to arguing about something alt related now.
> Chris

Mark Nelson
Precision Digital Negatives