Re: Let's switch the New Orleans controversy to glut now please...

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 09/02/05-12:11:30 AM Z

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
snip

> If someone out there has used glut with problems, please do share so as to
> balance my enthusiasm for the stuff. We know of two who have had severe
> reactions to glut with headaches and dizziness and such. Anyone else?
> Anyone use Maco hardener or the Black Magic hardener for their glut source
> yet? Is Black Magic glut, too??
>
> So THERE. Let's get back to arguing about something alt related now.
> Chris

I urge anyone trying glut to read the safety notes I posted earlier.
People can't smell gluteraldehyde very well, so they will react to an high
concentration by getting sick and irritating the eyes.

If used properly I think it is far less dangerous than formaldehyde and
glyoxal. But it must be used properly. The two important things are to
wear complete eye protection - if splashed in the eye it can cause damage
to the eyes. And proper ventilation.

Once mixed into to the dilution used to harden it may not be as dangerous,
but its always very dangerous to assume that something isn't dangerous. :)

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2