"speckling" v "staining " (was New Orleans/glut)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 09/02/05-09:14:04 PM Z

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> The Rives speckled tremendously (Mark brought the test wedgies home with him
> and Jane), and after a couple hours of still-developing I did spray it and
> the stain never disappeared.

You seem to be using the terms "speckling" and "stain" here as meaning the
same thing. But as I use the terms they're distinctly different... the
"stain" being a fine (although grainy) tone over the paper, the
"speckling" being larger, possibly irregular but usually shinier *specks*
of color, more widely spaced, that is there can be perfectly white paper
between them.

I've only seen what I call speckling in cases of faulty size, although
*staining* can be from many causes, such as dispersal agent or other in
the paint itself, or paper that tends to stain... (as some will always if
not sized, eg. one particular Arches which I'd have to look up to name).

And frankly my experience of the experience is so different from what you
describe, I really do hope that's the explanation.

.....the chances of getting
> speckling/staining on Rives is much greater than on Fabriano--maybe due to
> the paper or the sizing. However, I got speckling on Fabriano when I sized

The "Rives" here meaning Rives BFK, I assume, not one of the other Rives
papers???

Judy