Re: making regular photo paper POP

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 09/03/05-01:49:32 AM Z

Marek, I mentioned those chemicals because I found someone saying that
they are the active ingredients of Kodak S2 and S10, both mentioned by
Chris.

Chris, KOH is potassium hydroxide...

Either way, in my understanding, Chris mentioned these in the context
of adding them to a dilute print developer to obtain special
effects. I think the effects are obtained in relation to the
development process, which is a chemical amplification process. As it
is an amplification process, the effect of adding thiocyanate, which
affects latent image and development, can be hugely amplified during
the development process. But there is no amplification in most
non-silver based alt processes, as well as POP. So I frankly do not
think there will be a significant effect by treating the paper in
thiocyanate prior to exposure. (It may have some effect in
speed/contrast/color, but I suspect similar or better results can be
obtained by immersing the paper in silver nitrate solution.) Last two
sentenses were written as my best prediction from the involved
chemistry, not as a generalizable fact.