Re: Lumin prints tests

From: ryberg ^lt;cryberg@comcast.net>
Date: 09/04/05-01:24:41 PM Z

    I've exposed a lot of in and out of date photo paper to the sun at
various times and have seen blues, pinks, oranges and, mostly browns--but
never two or more colors on the same paper. I had never used plant material
to make such a print, so I tried it today.
    To my surprise, I did get multiple colors, but then realized that except
for the brown tones, all the colors were dissolved from the plant rather
than being photographic in nature. To test this I fixed a sheet, washed it
and made another "exposure." Sure enough, the colors migrated into the
gelatin surface of the paper. Of course, there was no brown background from
the silver.
     Still, I'm not sure this is the only thing going on in the lumin prints
you have linked to. In fact, I think most of you are not using a contact
printing frame, just setting the plant material on the paper. Is this
correct? If so, transfer of color from the plant to the paper seems pretty
unlikely.
     Please keep the list updated with all your tests.
Charles Portland Or