Re: "speckling" v "staining " (was New Orleans/glut)

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 09/04/05-09:44:04 AM Z

Thanks, Reg, keep us posted on your findings. None of the safety data
sheets open up in my browser, English or German.

I went back through the archives to see who posted the ingredients of Black
Magic and could not locate the post :( I even went through all my photo
notes on it, and unfortunately I think the post that I saved about the
ingredients of Black Magic went down with my hard drive crash this summer
when I lost all my Outlook Express stuff (but nothing else).

 If ONLY the person who posted would repost it--it was either, like, Kees or
Hamish or someone in Europe.

Clay, I forgot to tell you--6ml of the 2.5% to 1000ml gelatin 2.8%. It is
not that I am so exact in my gelatin measurements, just that 4 packages of
Knox equals 28g.

I heat up and liquify the gelatin, even boil for a bit, and then pour it
into a thermos. I squirt 6 ml of the stuff into the thermos, stir it, and
cap it. Then when I go to brush it on the paper, I only pour out a third of
a cup or so in the top of the thermos to coat, and keep doing this until it
is all gone, and then refill. I use a foam brush and then throw away. I do
this outside. I wear glasses when I do it, to prevent eye splashes. I hang
them up on a clothesline using baby hangers from walmart and plastic
clothespins.

But there is no denying that as you are brushing on the glut/gel mixture,
you are leaning over the paper and smelling the stuff to a certain extent.

As Ryuji has posted a while back, when dry there is no outgassing or
whatever you call it with glut; once it has bonded to the gelatin it does
not release, like formaldehyde. Nor is there any waiting to harden as with
alum. Nor is there any color.

And I find it interesting that I have used the hardener before in Liquid
Emulsion making, not knowing the ingredients, with no dire warnings and no
notes with the plastic container it came in...but then again, when people
were using dichromate back in the day and swimming in it there were no dire
warnings either.

I am currently working on my decision whether or not to teach it as my size
of choice next semester...I would think it a far better choice toxicity-wise
than formaldehyde.
Chris