RE: Fixing Lumin Prints

From: Liam Lawless ^lt;liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 09/06/05-03:32:05 AM Z

RE: Fixing Lumin PrintsI think the loss of colour in the fix is unavoidable
because fixing removes silver halides and thus alters the configuration of
the silver grains (compacting them) so they don't reflect light in the same
way. Whether the fix is strong or weak, if it does what it needs to do,
it'll remove the silver halides.

Missed the start of this thread and therefore not sure if I'm talking about
the same thing, but something I used to do was to develop a print somewhat
lightly, rinse and transfer to a very weak dev - something like D-163 at
1:500 or 1:1000 if memory serves - and then take into bright sunshine for
development to continue and colours to appear. Yellows, greens and browns
on cold papers, blues, pinks and purples on warn, but they all turned
grey-brown in the fix. Maybe an iodide bath would stabilise the halides
without removing them?

Papers ain't what they used to be, but I used to get interesting tones by
bleaching a silver print in ferricyanide-chloride or similar, then
redeveloping under a bright light in (e.g.) D-163 at 1:200. If it's
redeveloped to completion, it shouldn't need fixing.

Liam