What are the advantages of using Cyanotype as the first layer for tri-color gum prints? Paper Problems...

From: Carmen Lizardo ^lt;carmenlizardo@yahoo.com>
Date: 09/17/05-12:31:51 PM Z

Dear List:

What are the advantages of using Cyanotype as the
first layer for tri-color gum prints? And, which paper
is good to use with the cyano-gum process?
I am asking because I bought many sheets of 300 LB
Fabriano Artistic and Arches Aquarelle paper, and the
paper did not work for cyanotype. The cyonotype
emulsion turned blue-green when dried had blue spots
and after exposing, the emulsion would wash off almost
completely, leaving a very faint print with blue
spots. Judy suggested trying acidifying the paper. I
did not have any acid except white distilled vinegar,
which I used, mixed 1:1 with distilled water, and that
seemed to resolve the problem (thanks Judy!). I did
test the paper with a gum print using thalo blue
watercolor and it cleared fine on pre-shrunk, un-sized
paper. I am using 300 lb paper because I am making
very large gum prints and the lighter paper was
falling apart when soaked in very hot water. Maybe
there is a lighter weight paper that is cheaper than
the 300 lb and will work well for 22x30” gum prints?

Thank you for sharing your expertise.
Carmen