Re: Dry mounting

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 09/19/05-07:36:23 PM Z

From: Dan Burkholder <fdanb@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Dry mounting
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:12:40 -0500 (CDT)

> for presenting silver gelatin prints, there is a special elegance to
> a trimmed, dry mounted and window matted print.

Indeed. I wish there were a truly reversible drymount with no risk of
damaging the work....

The flatness of the print can be easily achieved by using RC paper. I
hate glossy RC paper but some of the semi-matte/pearl/whatever look
very good.

On the other hand, FB prints that are hinge mounted can look very
nicely if the print is toned. I like very dark chocolate brown and
very dark eggplant black. For this, I don't use matte board window at
all. I modify one of the pre-made 24 inch square frames to make a
shadow box of 3/4 inch depth, so that you see print floating slightly
off the backing board in the 3/4 inch of the space created within the
frame. Very nice and cost effective. (If I were to do the same with
custom framing parts, It'd cost double very easily.)