Re: Dry mounting

From: Dan Burkholder ^lt;fdanb@aol.com>
Date: 09/19/05-07:12:40 PM Z

Not much to add to Ryuji's comprehensive reply but I will add that for
presenting silver gelatin prints, there is a special elegance to a
trimmed, dry mounted and window matted print. Falling off the perfectly
flat print onto mount board gives a certain sense of visual containment
that elevates the print, both literally and figuratively. And that
"flatness" seems to matter in a silver print, maybe because silver is so
suited to rendering line and plane effects.

My $0.02

Dan

Ryuji Suzuki wrote on 9/19/05, 1:32 PM:

> Dry mounting is good in keeping the print flat, but it is terrible in
> terms of reversibility. Dry mounting may be good for easily reproducible
> work for display, but the choice becomes questionable if the work is
> precious.
>
> 300gsm or heavier paper shouldn't present much difficulty in flatness in
> those sizes, once curling is removed. I wouldn't dry mount those prints.

ase let me know.

--
www.danburkholder.com
www.tinytutorials.com