RE: Dry mounting

From: joachim oppenheimer ^lt;joachim2@optonline.net>
Date: 09/19/05-08:00:45 PM Z

Let me add my 2 cents and up the ante by another wooden nickel: It is true
that museum curators prefer slver gelatin prints that can be readily
separated from the mounts, but I am sticking with the Great Father of
Eternal Photography Wisdom, Ansel, who dry mounted. In addition to the
aesthetic qualities Dan refers to I believe - and I know that others may
disagree but I am right - the mounting enhances longevity by sealing off the
back of the print against environmental enemy aliens. (There is an art to
dry mounting that is not easily acquired and that may discourage some, and
shape the political climate). Joachim