Re: Dry mounting

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 09/20/05-04:19:44 PM Z

From: BOB KISS <bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Subject: RE: Dry mounting
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:18:04 -0300

> Ooops, I guess I was snowed by an “expert”. I thought it was
> more difficult than that.

Does that expert have one more kid graduating from high school soon?

Well, soaking in acetone is not that hard in principle but you would
need a suitable fume hood and a pair of acetone-resistant gloves. Plus
the expert must be doing this all the time to keep his skills, so I
would not mind the expert drinking the finest Sangiovese available.

There used to be an expert in recovering images from broken plate
negatives. They peeled off the gelatin layer and laid them on a
separate, clean glass. Very simple in principle but I would not call
it an easy process to do.

Besides, if you have to remove one of the collectible prints from the
backing board, it would make more sense to pay someone who's skilled
in doing it, rather than do it yourself.

Anyway, I'm generally very interested in mounting and framing
techniques (especially those suitable for large work), so please let
me know if anyone knows good resources. (I don't necessarily think all
my work has to be archival, as long as the end result is more
interesting.)

Ryuji