Re: zone system and large format film

From: SteveS ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 09/28/05-08:04:07 PM Z

As you know, the Zone system rule is: Meter for the shadows and print for
the highlights.

The key and unfortunately the answer to your question is "Test." Take a
gray card, or as I do a collage with aluminum foil and slate gray rock, with
a cement gray brick and form the Roman numeral V, expose normal, the make
the 'set up' read IV, and under expose one stop; following toward over
exposure with the set up to read VI, VII, etc. and then process all the same
developer, the same times.

You will SEE the answer. Better! You will KNOW what to do.

The last workshop I did with Al Weber answered exactly that question.
Answer: While most people think they have to sacrifice shadow detail for
highlight tonality, setting the meter on Zone VIII will render plenty of
highlight detail. In fact Zone IX is not devoid of detail!

My experience shows that if the negative has ANY information in the D-Min,
you can print shadow detial by splint printing: Determine the time for an
acceptable print. Print the highest grade acceptable for 2/3 the time found
in that first print. Then Expose the paper the final 1/3 of the time with a
lower grade filter and that will 'matt out' the dark tones into the smallest
steps of gray to black and give you detail in the shadow areas. But, you
can't put detail in a pure blank negative, there has to be some image on
that negative.

Let me know
Steve Shapiro
sgshiya@redshift.com