zone system and large format film

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 09/28/05-06:17:42 PM Z

Well, I'm getting up my nerve to ask a sort of non alt question--but at
least it does deal with large negatives!

When you all are out in the field, do you generally place your shadows on
Zone III and highlights on Zone VII or Zone VIII?? What happened in between
Adams' zone system and Carson Graves et al? It seems that people have
migrated to a Zone VII highlight, and contracted the zones to fewer. Minor
White in his book from the 60's says that paper changed and got more
compressed and that is why the change. Is this true? Techiegeeks, PLEASE
enlighten me, especially those who used papers from early on (30's-60's)
until now....Condenser enlargers, VC paper, #2 filter as normal.
Chris