Re: Using Gluteraldahyde; was: Glutaraldahyde activation?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 09/30/05-12:18:20 AM Z

From: Don Bryant <dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Subject: Using Gluteraldahyde; was: Glutaraldahyde activation?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:17:59 -0400

> I'm using the 2.5% dilution with pH of 3.5, kindly prepared for me
> by Ryuji. I've only had time to use the glut hardened sizing on
> Fabriano Artistico Extra White HP as soon as time permits I will
> test other papers, Rives BFK being the first.

Ok, so you used the blue cap. That's a good news. In my silver-gelatin
practice, both white cap (Chris's) and blue cap work identically, but
I was just very slightly worried about a possibility of all great
experience of Chris was due to some minor ingredients in the
proprietary formulae by Henry Schein. Blue cap is my own formula and I
know EXACTLY what are in it, and that possibility is largely excluded
(let's see what you get with Rives BFK or maybe Magnani Pescia before
making it definite.)

Now, I have a small concern before people jump on Henry Schein
MaxiCide. (which has never been a secret---I posted this product a few
times in the past). I sent Chris 100ml, maybe two years ago. Last time
we talked, she hadn't finished. So, I suggest people make some sort of
organized purchase with neighbors.

When people buy a gallon jug and use 100ml to throw away 3.6 liters of
glut down the drain, this is a problem. The proper way to dispose of
this compound is to mix glut with household bleach in a large
container, and wait for several minutes before let it down the
drain. Of course this should be done in a fume hood. (Some region with
weak waste water treatment plants may have more restrictive
regulations.) Yet better way is not to buy such a huge quantity of
glut.

Ryuji