Re: Using Gluteraldahyde; was: Glutaraldahyde activation?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 09/30/05-12:05:47 AM Z

Don,
Thanks for the report. I'm curious why you decided to use a different
percentage from what Chris uses. (If my numbers are right, yours comes
out to .0225% of the total gelatin solution, or 1.5 X what Chris uses).

I still rather suspect that my lousy results with glutaraldehyde as a
size were because I used too much (.04%, or 2.7X Chris's), but I also
used different papers (my glutaraldehyde experiments were on Lana and
Fabriano Uno papers) so it's impossible to draw any inferences from the
difference between my results and yours and Chris's. It will be
interesting to see your results on BFK.

Also, I haven't used the Fabriano Artistico Extra-White all that much,
as I don't like the open surface texture, but in the few tests I have
run with glyoxal on that paper, I have got mixed results, whereas I get
consistently beautiful results with glyoxal on Arches Bright White. So
I'm inclined to agree with Chris that it's not just the hardener that's
crucial, but the combination of hardener and paper, which as has been
pointed out may well turn out to be different for different people under
different conditions. Judy was suggesting that maybe it's something as
basic as the water in different places; I suppose that's possible, but I
also wonder if the different dichromate dilutions we use may be a factor
in why the same paper-hardener combination works well for some people
and not others.
Katharine